Tuesday, August 23, 2022

12 Year Anniversary!

 It's hard to believe it, but John and I celebrated our 12th Anniversary on the 14th. It really doesn't feel like we have been married for 12 years, but I do find it hard to believe that there was a time in my life when I did not know John, since we have shared so much in the past 17 years (counting the years we dated!)

We really get each other. He is definitely the person that knows me best, and I hope I am that person for him as well. We are usually on the same page when it comes to the big issues, and we are good at communicating with each other. We do argue and get in fights at times, but things are usually resolved pretty quickly, and we really try to not go to bed angry. 

We didn't really do any special celebrating this year. Our Anniversary fell on the Sunday before the Turner County Fair, so we were busy with 4-H bunnies, and 4-H projects, and setting up a camper, so there was no anniversary date for us. But, that's ok, we spent the day together with our kids, and it was a great day. 

We finally got to celebrate our Anniversary last night. The kids were out at Jim and Barb's house for a quick sleepover before school starts, so John and I took advantage of the situation. We started with a trip to Costco, and then we went to Shahi Palace for supper. It was delicious, and we enjoyed a nice, quiet evening to ourselves. We followed that with a Walmart trip (why not?!) and then a nice evening at home finishing up some odds and ends. 

I feel pretty good about where we are at with our 12 years of marriage. We have our chores around the house that we tend to gravitate towards, although we both will do any of the work that needs to be done. We also have our roles as parents that seems to work best for us. John gets the kids in the morning, so he has to wake them up, make sure they have everything, and start their day out on a positive, happy note (he is definitely better suited for this than me). Then, I usually pick up the kids after school, and deal with the homework and piano lessons. This works out well, because I have a little more attention to detail, and I like to keep the kids on task and get things done. Whereas, John is more laid back, and he would let the kids play and do other things, and put the homework and piano on the back burner. So, basically we complement each other pretty well. 

We also have done a pretty good job of traveling, and pushing each other to go out and do things. I am proud of all the places we have been to together, and I want to continue traveling. I want some trips by ourselves, and some trips with the kids as well. It's such a fun adventure to travel with family. 

Basically, what I am trying to say in this mushy post, is that it has been a great 12 years, I look forward to many more, and I can't wait to see what other adventures await!



No comments:

Post a Comment