Saturday, January 29, 2011

A Community I Love

I grew up in Fairfax, a small town in south central Minnesota. It has a population of about 1700, and the best places to eat are the bar or the gas station. The nearest Wal-Mart is 30 minutes away, and everyone knows everything about everyone else.

I currently live in Sioux Falls, SD, which is a pretty big city compared to what I grew up in. I love living in Sioux Falls, in that I am close to everything I need. I don't need to travel an hour to go shopping, or commute half an hour to work. I do love where I am living, but there is a feeling of happiness that I get when I do go back to visit Fairfax from time to time.

When I go back to Minnesota to visit my parents and the community of Fairfax, all sorts of childhood memories come back to me. I lived in this small community for the first 21 years of my life. I know just about everybody that lives in Fairfax, I went to school in Fairfax, and I worked my first part-time jobs in Fairfax. It's just nice to go back to the small community life for a few days and remember what it's like to see all the people I grew up with. There is a special place in my heart for the community of Fairfax.

However, as much as I like to go back to my parent's home from time to time and visit, I am very happy to not be living in Fairfax anymore. It is great to live in a new city where I can meet new people and start new memories. I better get used to Sioux Falls, since soon we will be buying a house here!

So I guess what I am saying is that I love going back to visit Fairfax and remembering the small town life and all my childhood memories. However, I am enjoying this next chapter in my life in Sioux Falls.

No comments:

Post a Comment