Saturday, December 28, 2013

A Minnesota Christmas

I was super excited to be able to spend Christmas Day in Minnesota. It had been a few years since I was in Minnesota for the actual Holiday. There are just too many nurses in our family, it makes it tough to get together on the actual day, but this year worked out wonderfully.

It was sort of weird having Christmas on a Wednesday though. On Monday, December 23rd, we packed up our house (at least it felt that way) and we made the journey to Minnesota. Emma handled the trip well, and the weather was fantastic!

We stopped at my mom's work in Redwood Falls on the way home and Emma delivered some flowers since it was my mom's birthday. When we finally made it to my parent's house, we settled in and then helped get things in order for Christmas. It was a battle trying to keep Emma out of the presents!!

John and I helped my Dad put together the Christmas bags for all the kids in the Christmas Program, and then we relaxed at my parents' house for a while.

I called some friends/family while I was in town, and we decided to meet up at the Frontier to have a few drinks and catch up. There were lots of drinks, laughs, and memories shared. It was great to catch up with some old friends!




On Tuesday, Christmas Eve, we spent the morning making food, playing with Emma, and visiting and enjoying the holiday season. At around 1pm, my dad's side of the family started showing up for our annual get-together. We had appetizers, wine, and beer to keep us full and happy for the most of the day. There were also presents exchanged between the young cousins and Emma, so there were new toys to keep all the kids happy.






We headed into Fairfax at around 6pm for the Children's Christmas Program that Kyle and Jenna were in (Trevor was sick for Christmas). After that, we all headed back out to my parent's farm to continue the festivities. I'm pretty sure I was buzzing from some wine by the end of the night.

 Emma crashed pretty hard. She was overwhelmed by all the new toys, people, and all the activity. She did really well, and was happy and adorable all day, but by 8 pm she was more than ready for bed.

Christmas Day started off with us all going to church. Emma did not behave well in church at all. She was just tired and crabby, plain and simple. I ended up leaving church early with her and putting her to bed.

We had spaghetti for dinner and after Emma napped we opened gifts. Emma had a blast opening basically everybody's presents and playing with all her new toys. She got spoiled, again.








After the presents were all opened, and approved by Emma, we started the process of packing up the car and heading back to South Dakota. John and I both had to work the next day, so unfortunately Christmas was over.

We had such a good 3 days in Minnesota. Emma was well-behaved and really really fun this Christmas. I got to spend time with some extended family members I don't get to see very often and of course we got to spend a lot of time with immediate family.

I love the Holiday Season, and I am bummed to see it leave so quickly. I actually just finished taking down all my Christmas decorations, it's always kind of depressing to put everything back to normal.

But, Christmas will come again, and in the meantime, Happy New Year :)

No comments:

Post a Comment