Saturday, December 25, 2010

A Non-Traditional Christmas

This year Christmas is a little different for my husband and me. Normally for Christmas I head to Minnesota to hang out with all of my extended family. Christmas Eve usually consists of heading to a Christmas Eve Program that my cousins are in, and then heading to my aunt and uncle's house to enjoy appetizers and munchies for the rest of the evening. Christmas day means going to church and then spending the rest of the day surrounded by family.

This Christmas has been nothing like that. First of all, being a nurse, I was scheduled to work the 24, 25, and 26. So needless to say, I did not plan anything for those day, anticipating that I would have to work. I was sort of bummed about it too, because this is my first Christmas with my husband, and I wouldn't even hardly get to see him. So, anyway, I worked a 12 hour shift on Friday (Christmas Eve) and hit the hay early last night to get ready for another long day.

At 5:00am, I got a phone call from work telling me I was mandated from work, meaning they didn't need me today because there were too few of patients. Immediately I felt some relief in the fact that I did not have to work on Christmas, and I went back to sleep for a couple more hours of rest. However, once John and I woke up, we realized we didn't have any plans for Christmas Day.

We ended up starting our day by watching White Christmas. A classic Christmas movie, although this is the first time I have ever watched it. Next we actually headed to Avera McKennan Hospital for lunch. On Thanksgiving and Christmas Avera offers a free meal to the public. We had turkey, ham, stuffing, corn, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes and gravy, pumpkin pie, coleslaw, and bread. It was actually really good, and free. Since we had no dinner plans, it worked out well.

After lunch we headed back to the apartment to play on our Wii. I bought John Mario Cart for Christmas and we have been having a lot of fun with the game. Basically now we are just hanging out and enjoying the holiday. It is a bit strange to not be surrounded by family and food today, but I have had an awesome Christmas with my husband, and couldn't ask for anything more.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment