Thursday, May 29, 2014

Baby Nelson #2

I haven't really had a chance to express how I feel about being pregnant a second time. I am excited!!! Back in January, John and I had a discussion about having another child, and we decided to just not prevent anything, and see what happens.

Lo and behold, wouldn't you know about 2 months later, we found out we were expecting. It's definitely different the second time around. We are very excited to expand our family, but it's not quite the same excitement and it is way less fear, than I had the last time. I know what to expect this time around.

This pregnancy has been a little tougher on me. I had a lot of fatigue and some nausea during the first 8 weeks or so. I found out I was pregnant at about 4 weeks, but we didn't tell anybody until I was 10 weeks along, so we had secrets to keep again. And I had to be tricky about it, because I had to get through Easter and my birthday, without drinking, and without raising suspicion from my family.

Everyone is really excited again for the arrival of another baby. I have a hunch that it is a boy, just because this pregnancy has felt quite a bit different. I would be very happy with either outcome though. I think having a boy would be fun, and then I have one of each and I can be done with babies if that is what we decide. But another girl would be fun too, and I would love to give Emma a sister to grow up with.

We have told Emma about her baby brother or sister, but she doesn't quite understand yet. Maybe when I get big enough to look like there is a baby in my belly, she will start to understand. I am a little nervous about how she will react to a baby, she is used to having all the attention and jealousy may be a problem. Also, she is such a mommy's girl, and if I am feeding the baby or spending some quality time with the baby, I can see her getting mad and maybe even being mean to the baby. But I guess that's just part of it, and she will adjust eventually.

We have a couple of tough tasks ahead of us before the baby comes. We need to wean Emma off her pacifier which is going to be an epic battle, and then we also need to transition her out of her crib and into a toddler or a twin bed, so that little baby nelson #2 can have the crib when he/she is born. So, we have our work cut out for us.

I am also a little apprehensive about jugging two kids. We have finally mastered taking care of one child, two is going to be another story. I am very excited for the challenge, but being sleep deprived from a newborn and chasing a toddler around is going to be nothing short of exhausting.

But we are very excited! I can't wait for newborn snuggles, tiny toes and fingers, and all the firsts that we will experience in the baby's first year. I also can't wait to see what kind of big sister Emma will become.

P.S. Chasing Emma around is going to be really fun in another couple of months. And lugging her around. Pregnancy and toddlers don't exactly mesh well together :)


No comments:

Post a Comment