Wednesday, August 24, 2011

"Toys" Book Review

As I have mentioned several times, I am a pretty big James Patterson fan. I have read probably 90% of his books (and he has written a lot of books). Most recently, I went to the Sioux Falls Public Library and I checked out the book "Toys" by James Patterson. I read the book flap, and decided that this book was going to be a little different than a usual James Patterson book.

Usually a James Patterson book is centered on detectives solving murders, but this book is a scientific genre based in the future. In the book, it is the year 2061, and humans came very close to destroying the world (basically along the lines of Global Warming) so these genetically engineered Elites saved the world from being destroyed. The Elites are smarter, faster, and stronger than humans and are basically in control of the world. The Elites run the government, law enforcement, and most businesses. However. the Elites still need humans to invent items and perform domestic duties such as cooking and cleaning.

Now, I am not going to describe the entire book to you, but what happens is the Elites try to extinguish the human race, and of course the humans fight back. There are many more twists and turns in the book, but basically that is the underlying story.

A couple chapters in, I wasn't really feeling this book. I am not a huge fan of scientific books set in the future. However I really enjoyed this book and let me tell you why.

1. It reminded me that humans can be amazing in times of need. Lately all we ever hear in the news is bad things happening. People being killed, robbing banks/gas stations, or showing other signs of hatred. It was refreshing to be reminded that humans can be inspiring, creative, compassionate, and united when called upon.

2. The book was suspenseful.  I couldn't put the book down, anxious to know what was going to happen next. The ending is fairly predictable, but there are many unpredictable steps along the way. That is James Patterson writing at it's finest.

3. It touched on technology and how it can be a bad thing if not used properly. It discussed how people can become so obsessed with items or "toys". Sometimes people become obsessed with needing the newest "toy" that they lose perspective on more basic things. I agree completely. Don't get me wrong, I love my smart phone and my laptop, and I use the internet constantly. However, there is a joy is being able to disengage ourselves from these things, and take joy in the simple things in life.

If you are looking for a good book, that is a little different from what you are used to reading, think about giving "Toys" a try. You won't be disappointed.










No comments:

Post a Comment